Фразы, часто используемые в разговоре по телефону на английском языке.
Answering the phone
- Thank you for calling Business English Courses "english4real". Maxim speaking. How can I help you?
- Good morning/afternoon/evening, Persha Studia, Denis speaking.
- Who's calling, please?
- This is Ken.
- Ken speaking
- Hey George. It's Lisa calling. (informal)
- Hello, this is Julie Madison calling.
- Hi, it's Gerry from the dentist's office here.
Asking who is on the telephone
- Excuse me, who is this?
- Can / Could I ask who is calling, please?
Asking for Someone
- Can I have extension 123? (internal numbers at a company)
- Could / Can / May I speak to...?
- Is Jack in? (in the office)
- May I speak with Mr. Ivanov, please?
- Would the financial manager be in / available?
- I'll put you through (connect)
- Can you hold the line?
- Can you hold on a moment?
- Please hold and I'll put you through to his office.
- One moment please.
How to reply when someone is not available
- I'm afraid ... is not available at the moment
- The line is busy...
- Mr Levin isn't in / available ...
- Mr Chernous is out at the moment...
Taking a Message
- Could / Can / May I take a message?
- Could / Can / May I tell him who is calling?
- Would you like to leave a message?
- I'm sorry, Vika's not here at the moment. Can I ask who's calling?
- I'm afraid he's stepped out. Would you like to leave a message?
- He's on lunch right now. Who's calling, please?
- He's busy right now. Can you call again later?
- I'll let him know you called.
- I'll make sure she gets the message.
Leaving a message with someone
- Yes, can you tell him his wife called, please.
- No, that's okay, I'll call back later.
- Yes, it's Alexander from Alpha Bank here. When do you expect her back in the office?
- Thanks, could you ask him to call me back when he gets in?
- Do you have a pen. His number is 050 - ...
- Thanks. My number is 067-602-11-69.
- Okay, I've got it all down.
- Let me repeat that just to make sure I got it right.
- Did you say pr. Moskovskiy, 6?
- You said your name was Tatyana, right?
Making special requests
- Could you please repeat that?
- Would you mind spelling that for me?
- Could you speak up a little, please? (говорить погромче)
- Can you speak a little slower, please. My English isn't very strong.
- Can you call me back? I think we have a bad connection.
- Can you, please, hold for a moment? I have another call.
Finishing a conversation
- Well, I guess I better get going now. Talk to you soon.
- Well, I won't keep you. I've also got some things to do.
- Thanks for calling. Bye for now.
- I have to let you go now.
- I have another call coming through. I better run.
- I'm afraid that's my other line.
- I'll talk to you again soon. Bye.
Friendly (informal) beginning
- How are you?
- How are things going?
- How was your weekend?
- Have the things been going well?
- What have you been up to?
- How are things coming along?
- Where are you with your project?
- I am not bad, thanks!
- The things are going pretty and smoothly, thanks. And you?
Reason of the call
- The reason I am calling is ...
- The main purpose of my call is to discuss what the ...
- If you don’t mind, let us go through some of the details of our project.
- I think we have clarified the main aspects of the project, so let’s get down to nitty-gritty, how soon do you want us to deliver and in what ways do you want us to do that?
- The overall purpose is clear so far, let’s move on to details ...
- We have understood it in general (terms), could you, please, provide us with some details about ...?
Speaking about problems
- We have got some difficulties…
- We have run into some problems…
- There have been some concerns with the project...
- There are some things to be solved / clarified in the project. These are …
- The thing is that we ...
- The problem is that we ...
- The trouble is that we ...
- The main concern is that we ...
- What worries me most is that we can’t...
- We got a crash / corruption / black screen … when were rebuilding / after we had put new / rebuild the resources.
- Could you tell us …
- Do you think you could …
- I wonder if you have any ideas of why it happened
- Are there any possible ways for us to deal with this?
- We tried to work it out ourselves, but … nothing seems to be working / changing.
Figure out // Sort out // Work out
- Could you tell us, if you had anything like that before? And how you dealt with that?
- Could you advise us on what we should do with that?
Speaking about attachments
- Have you had a chance to read the letter I sent you last week?
- I sent you a letter last Monday, have you looked at / through the description of the problem?
- What about the letter I sent you? Did you have an opportunity to study it (to get familiar with the issues I listed)?
- And what about the issue I mentioned in the letter?
- Could you tell me if we can talk through the concerns I described in the letter?
- I think it will be better for me to send you … in the attachment.
- I guess it will be worth sending this materials via email with an attachment.
- I reckon it would be much better if we speak about this again after you have read the complete description, which I will send you in the letter straight after the call.
- If you have any questions / issues / difficulties / troubles, what so ever, please, do not hesitate to contact me / get in touch with me / to speak to me!
- If there are some problems, please, call me immediately.
- In case there are some questions, please, let me know about them.