1. Complete the collocations with the verbs below.
buy eat go go hire lie play visit
1 _____. for a walk / for a bike ride / on a boat trip
2 _____. souvenirs
3 _____. a castle / a mosque / a museum
4 _____. a car / a kayak / a bike
5 _____. table tennis / beach volleyball
6 _____. abseiling / mountain biking / surfing / shopping / kayaking
7 _____. on a beach
8 _____. out
1 go 2 buy 3 visit 4 hire 5 play 6 go
7 lie 8 eat
2. Read the blog post. Find two more activities you can add to 1-8 in exercise 1.
7.35 pm @Sam2020
Having a great time on our cycling tour of Provence in the South of France. We arrived on Saturday after a long journey on the train from London. We’ve cycled about 150 km since Saturday morning and I’m exhausted! Danny is tired too, but he’s fitter than I am. The countryside is beautiful, but there are lots of hills!! The weather has been warm and sunny – maybe a little too hot for me. We’ve stayed at a different place every night so far. Two nights ago we stayed at a farm, and last night we stayed in a small hotel. Staying in a castle tonight, which is amazing! Tomorrow, we’re visiting a lake. It’s quite a long way from here, in the mountains. We’ll stay there all afternoon and go swimming. Looking forward to it! I’ll post again in two days.
visit a lake, go swimming
In informal style (e.g. in emails, blogs and postcards) we can omit sentence subjects / and we.
Must go now! Wish you were here!
With the present continuous, we can also omit the auxiliaries am and are.
Having a great time in Italy!
However, only do this once or twice in a text. Do not omit every instance of / and we.
3. Read the Writing Strategy. Then find these sentences in the blog post. What word or words did the writer omit from the start?
1 _____. having a great time on our cycling tour ___
2 _____. staying in a castle tonight ___
3 _____. looking forward to it!
1 I’m / We’re 2 We’re 3 I’m
4. Read the sentences below. Cross out the words which could be omitted to make them more informal.
1 I wish I could stay here longer!
2 I’m taking lots of photos to show you.
3 I’ll see you soon!
1 Wish I could stay here longer!
2 Taking lots of photos to show you.
3 See you soon!
5. Read the task. The prepare to write your blog post by inventing answers to questions 1-5 below.
You are on holiday with a friend, touring around a country. Write a blog entry with information about:
– where you are touring and how you are travelling
– the weather
– some places you have stayed
– something you plan to do in the next few days.
1 Where are you touring?
2 How are you travelling?
3 What is the weather like?
4 Where have you stayed?
5 What are your plans?
your own answers
6. Write your blog post using your notes from exercise 5.
your own answers